On my way home from studying at Highland Theological College yesterday I stopped off at the Kiltearn graveyard. In the graveyard there is the grave of Thomas Hog, a minister of the Church that was on site there. Incidentally Hog was born in Tain. On his tombstone was this inscription: This stone shall bear witness against the parishoners of Kiltearn if they bring ane ungodly minister in here. Now look at the following picture of the Church he was minister of. 
Sobering, isn't it?
Speaking of studying, some of you have asked about my studies. One of my favourite booklets here has been the Riverside Church directory.
I have been doing quite a lot of reading on the Lord's Supper. Yesterday I came across a DMin dissertation on the the celebration of the Lord's Supper in the Scottish Highlands. That has been a fascinating read. I mentioned earlier that I was reading Robert Bruce's The Mystery of the Lord's Supper. That has been extremely helpful. I am grappling with John Calvin's view on the Supper from his Institutes. I have perused some shorter books by Richard D. Philips and Robert Letham. I also plan to look at some other books that I brought along with me.
Next Tuesday Joshua and I are going to Dundee where Robert Murray M'Cheyne was pastor. Since I read his Memoirs in Seminary I have had a deep affection for him. To prepare for my trip there I have been reading a biography by Van Valen published by Christian Focus. It has been encouraging and helpful for thinking about my ministry at Riverside.
I am also pecking away at Charles Bridges The Christian Ministry. I read this in 1991 prior to going to Seminary and remember it as being an excellent exposition of the calling, challenges, pitfalls, and blessings of the ministry. It is a blessing to be back into it.
Tonight we go to the Bothy with the whole family to sleep there. If you forget what the Bothy was check earlier blogs. Lucy and I were there last night and it was grand!
2 comments:
I was wondering how the night in the Bothy went... was Lucy warm enough? Have a great night there and enjoy the fresh air... just try to stay away from the nesting birds since I'm not there for it to dive bomb on while you search for the eggs :)
Hey Pastor John & Lucy!
it is so great to keep up with you this way - your trip looks amazing! keep posting and enjoy :)
Post a Comment