Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Punting the Cam and Seeing the Bridges, August 22nd

It isn't that we are given to procrastination but we did finally punt on our last full day in Cambridge. Actually, we were planning on going on Monday but the rain dissuaded us. (After all, you don't want to get wet punting as David and Jonathan Hamilton will confess.) A Punt is a flat-bottomed boat which does not have a keel, and is propelled by means of a long pole. Punting is one of the most popular ways to see the famous bridges and colleges along the River Cam.

We would be remiss if we did not mention the Hamilton brothers' escapades. When I began punting I heard one of them remark that I would fall in. Admittedly, I did look unsteady at first. Needless to say, they were the ones who fell in. I would have laughed uproariously had Ian not instructed his daughter not to laugh. Oh well, the river isn't deep though David's watch and cellphone were not waterproof. Is it merely coincidence that they took the plunge near the Bridge of Sighs?
The van Dixhoorns returned this afternoon. It was a treat to visit with them. Tomorrow we leave for Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. It will be a blessing to see everyone again!
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punting the Thames... suddenly I feel like seeing Mary Poppins! Good for you for showing restraint and not laughing... I'm sure that I would have! I can't wait till this evening to see you all again. It will be good to have you back home with us again. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Can't you stay just a bit longer! I am enjoying these blogs a good bit. Thank God that all went so well! See ya'll in a week.

Arie

Anonymous said...

I still say it was Jonathan's fault...