Friday, January 26, 2007

Van Eyk Gardens Arena

After many frigid nights and mornings the 2007 incarnation of the van Eyk Gardens Arena is a reality. We have had some very, very cold nights recently which is great for rink making. The last time we built a rink I used plastic with little success. I thought I would return to using snow as a base. The rink does slope a little eastward but that is a bonus for strengthening skating endurance. After all, where else can you practice skating uphill? Over the next few days I will continue adding a layer of water, particularly at the east end to try to level the rink out a bit more and to build a thicker base to weather the occasional winter thaw. Joshua finished school early today and spent a couple of hours practicing his hockey skills. Micaiah just "got bored of it" and cashed in early. Kristiana loved skating and did so until her gymnastics class.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Kristiana! She must be sore after that workout and then gymnastics too--she will sleep well tonight!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a great looking rink. No wonder Micaiah cashed in early the poor boy hardly moved at all and when he did a little Kristiana took a break on his skating chair! I'm sure that you'll have lots of fun on the rink... I'll have to stop by and try it sometime.

Anonymous said...

Thats a great rink!! Good work!

...Arie

DW and Sarah said...

I must don my blades and experience this unique phenomenon of skating uphill. People will come from far and wide to the vEGA!

Unknown said...

That is very cool there is only one regret,that i cant be there c u soon

...Jeff